How to install package in different directory prefix

How, using pkgsrc or otherwise, would I setup to install a package in a
different directory prefix, other than /usr, /usr/pkg, or /usr/local, and then
how would I tell pkgsrc and gcc to recognize those installed libraries and
includes if such an installed package becomes a dependency of something else I
want to install?  I could have a prefix like /usr/local2 or /usr/testing and
still have access to the base system and other installed packages.

I might want to install something in an experimental directory prefix to be
able to access it but without burning bridges on an established installation.
I could modify the path and library and include search paths for a special
session but be able to subsequently return to normal setup.

I might want to do this with an alpha or beta prerelease of something like
Firefox 4 or Seamonkey 2.1, for instance.

Tom