Re: LIBPATH issues on AIX

On Dec 17, 2010, at 11:35 AM, Louis Guillaume wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On AIX[1], we just installed some AIX-base-system software that included it's
> own /usr/lib/libexpat.so as a 32-bit object. But pkgsrc has
> /usr/pkg/lib/libexpat.so as a 64-bit object for fontconfig et al.
In AIX 5.3, expat shouldn't be a shared library. The RPM that IBM provides as
part of their "IBM LInux Applications for POWER" kit uses /usr/lib/libexpat.a
which is a symlink to /opt/freeware/lib/libexpat.a. Did it come from the Bull
Freeware archive? What TL and SP level are you running?

Can you do a lslpp -w /usr/lib/libexpat.so to see if some installp fileset
installed it?

> I can't just set LIBPATH in, say, /etc/profile because the [very important]
> things that depend on /usr/lib/libexpat.so will break (and who knows what
> else).
If only selected users are going to use certain applications, you could set up
/etc/security/environ so that those users get a custom LIBPATH instead of
setting a global one.

> What's the best way to solve this problem?
>
> [1] AIX 5.3, xlC 9, pkgsrc-2010Q2. Also the following are set in mk.conf
>
> CFLAGS+= -O3 -qstrict -qcpluscmt -qkeyword=inline
> ABI=64
> OBJECT_MODE=64
> .export OBJECT_MODE
> DBG=