Re: NetBSD/java threading issues

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 07:50:07PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On 11 December 2010 18:33, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot%wolfpond.org@localhost>
> wrote:
> >
> > I just installed a NetBSD-4.01 system and had a go building wip/jdk15 on it:
> > it ran without trouble for 45 minutes. There were no threads stuck, the
> > bootstrap java compiler never failed.
> >
> > One of the big changes of NetBSD 5 was (surprise, surprise) a brand-new
> > threading subsystem.
> > So, I think there's something slightly borked with the new threading system.
> > Unfortunately, I don't have enough system-level knowledge to find out more.
>
> I don't have any thoughts on how to resolve this, but possibly a
> couple of collecting more information:
>
> Is your machine multiprocessor?

Yes, this is an old dual-core Opteron system.

> If so could you try booting with only
> one CPU enabled and see if the threading issues exhibit?

I'll have a go at it. Is there any way to force a non-SMP boot with a
NetBSD-5 kernel ? I'm not sure I'll be able to disable SMP support in the
BIOS.

> Also,
> possibly try running the netbsd-4 binary under netbsd-5 (probably with
> 'sysctl -w kern.no_sa_support=0' first).

I don't think this will change anything: Martin S. Weber had the same thread
always waiting problem with Linux binaries...

--
Francois Tigeot