Best way to fix a preprocessor / linker mismatch in pkgsrc

I submited a pr ( ), AFAIK on my system pkgsrc picked the OS headers for libiconv, and then tried to link with the pkgsrc library. What is the best way to fix such a problem ? Should I instruct the Linker to use the system libiconv, or force the package to include the headers file from pkgsrc ? Also more generally, is there a recommandation to use native libraries againts pkgsrc libraries when building packages, or is it something left for the user to choose ?
Thank you