From: Piotr Adamus <panpiotradamus%gmail.com@localhost>
Date: Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: Java status NetBSD
To: Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost>

Hello,

thanks. What I see if I want to run such applet:

-xulrunner high CPU usage (some over 100%, I don't know how is that possible)
-applet is not loading at all (the most current status)
-applet was loading partialy (unsuable though)

So for me openjdk is useless for my purposes- I have even problem to load demo applets on sun (oracle) web page.

I use firefox and current system (the latest test I made was on 5.99.38 or 5.99.37 amd64). I used current pkgsrc.

That applet I am trying to load:

OpenJDK

I raised a case to Oanda and run the test on the Oanda web page. Tests failed, Oanda cannot provide technical support- they suppor only sun jdk.

I am not blaiming netbsd nor pkgsrc developers- openjdk applet is failing on every platform- linux, windows. This is not NetBSD problem. The only thing I am curious about is why we removed active supprot for sun jdk wehreas FreeBSD and OpenBSD still support sun jdk (blackdown?, diablo patches)?

OpenBSD jdk
FreeBSD jdk collection

More over, I would even use linux jdk under emulation- that's fine for me as long as it works- but under amd64 linux-java pkg is broken.

So really I can't help my self :)

Thank you all !

Piotr.

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Mark Davies <mark%ecs.vuw.ac.nz@localhost> wrote:
On Saturday 14 August 2010 10:44:19 David Brownlee wrote:
> The openjdk7 plugin is not perfect, but I'm using it on a relatively
> complex internal java plugin & have poked at the various 'test your
> java plugin' pages without incident.

> Just out of curiosity, what issues are you seeing? - (this is on
> netbsd-5 i386)

Don't know what Piotr is seeing but what we see here is that
http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/Courses/COMP103_2010T2/SortingDemos causes
firefox to hang (and the load average to climb) but used to work fine with
the java 1.5 plugin.  One thing I'll probably end up doing this weekend
(rather than looking at kde 4.5) is try to get the 1.5 plugin working
again.

cheers
mark