Re: Building and running new package versions not yet in pkgsrc?

Hi Thomas,

> What do I do if I want to build and run a package where pkgsrc version is
> not up-to-date, and I want to build and run the current release version of
> that package, like Abiword 2.8.6 for instance, when pkgsrc version is far
> behind?  Or maybe I want to try a new alpha or beta development release of a
> package like Firefox or Seamonkey, but don't want to burn my bridges on
> the already installed and running version.

Well, maybe you can help to improve pkgsrc by adding a newer/develop- package
to the "wip" section of pkgsrc. "wip" means "work in process" and you are able
to make and upload packages. If you are working on those packages it would make
sense to make your work available to others... And your work is done in a
coherent environment.

To take your example "abiword"... You can take a copy of that package and do
some modification to it Makefile etc.)... If the package builds and runs stable
it can be used to update abiword in pkgsrc.

> Can I create a testing install base such as /extra or /usr/extra, and set
> something like
> PATH=/usr/extra/bin:$PATH
> and perhaps modify some other environment variables, and then be able to
> return to the regular environment?  I would only want to change a few things
> temporarily and would not want to create an entire chroot system.

I think maybe "DESTDIR"- support is what you are looking for... You should be
able to find it in pkgsrc- Guide.

Best regards,
Helge
--
GRATIS fÃr alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!