Re: Pkgsrc on linux, defective by design ?

Am 31.05.2010 um 21:45 schrieb Ross Cameron:

> Out of total curiosity (and I know I shouldn't be asking this but
> anyhow) WHY are you trying to use PKGSRC on CentOS?
>    There is little sense to be made of that.
>
> CentOS by choice ships older (known stable and secure) code and PKGSRC
> by comparisson (in many cases not all) ships newer releases. There are
> conflicting ideals at work here and you will have issues as a result.

Do you mean that pkgsrc is not the best choice for servers where packages must
be only updated for stability/security reasons?

I use pkgsrc because of extra control on the programs I install (compilation
parameters)

I also find amazing to be able to do:

$ pkg_admin fetch-pkg-vulnerabilities
$ pkg_admin audit

I would like to know if people find pkgsrc not suitable for such scenario.
Was that one of the reasons for OpenBSD to make a fork?

So far pkgsrc is my first choice to build/control open-source software in
Linux/Mac/Windows/BSD and I want to understand better where it fails