CONFIGURE_ARGS - ways other than edit Makefile?

I wonder if there's a way to change a package's CONFIGURE_ARGS
without editing the Makefile directly, that is, by using a
command-line flag or by editing mk.conf or pkg_install.conf.

In particular I wanted to use "--enable-syslog" while compiling
xlockmore-lite, but "make show-options" didn't include any
mechanism to set syslogging.  I tried

  make CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-syslog

but it had no effect.  I ended up editing the Makefile.

Is there a way to do this without touching the files in
/usr/pkgsrc/x11/xlockmore-lite ?

Anne.