Re: exim 4.70 on NetBSD 5.0.1 failure

J.R. wrote:
Hi there,

I want to use Exim 4.70 on NetBSD 5.0.1. and updated the pkgsrc package.
Every mail outbound is not delivered, because exim quits with sig 6 and
the error message "_res is not supported for multi-threaded programs."

Bug in exim? Bug in NetBSD? What can I do?
[snip]
Any help would be appreciated
J.R.

_res is a structure used by resolver(3) to resolve domain name queries. As it is used as a global variable, access to it cannot be thread-safe (the old API does not define a lock that permits the access of this struct in a thread-safe manner).

Fix:
There should be some piece of code in exim 4.70 that uses _res directly. It should be rewritten with the res_n*() (res_ninit, res_nsend, ...) functions, which are thread-safe.

See also http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?res_nsend++NetBSD-current

HTH

--
Jean-Yves Migeon