Re: Firefox 3.0.x removal (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/www)

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:12:07 +0200
Bernd Ernesti <veego%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> Why was this working and still supported version removed?

I think having the latest stable branch is sufficient for most desktop
applications, firefox included. 3.0 to 3.5 was a smaller step than 2.0
to 3.0 and I don't see how keeping the 3.0 package for another quarter
would have brought us anything but maintenance overhead.

> I know that the Mozilla people want to move everyone to 3.5.x but it seems
> that 3.5.x is not as stable as 3.0.x is.

This is one of the reasons I didn't immediately axe firefox3 last month.
I asked for testing and hinted about the removal of firefox3 several
times. In my opinion the dust has now settled and we still have an
upcoming pkgsrc freeze where any remaining issues will hopefully
be ironed out.

Kind regards,
-Tobias