package with hard-coded shell path

I am creating a package that contains a utility script.  As usual, the first
line of the script contains the path to the shell, which is not /bin/sh in this
case.  I'm not going to verify that the script works with sh, but assume the
author used shell-specific features purposefully.

My question is how do I patch such scripts so they'll work correctly no matter
where the shell is installed on the system?  I read "19.6.5. Packages with
hardcoded paths to other interpreter" but, first, it shouldn't matter if the
shell exists natively on the machine or is installed via pkgsrc, and second, it
seems to apply to installed scripts and not utility scripts that are used
during the build process.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Tim