Re: Installing binary packages as a dependancy during 'make package'

On Tue, 12 May 2009 22:43:21 +0200
Thomas Klausner <> wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 09:25:42PM +0100,
> wrote:
> > I have DEPENDS_TARGET=package set in my mk.conf file. When I run
> > 'make package' any dependant packages will be built, installed and
> > saved into PACKAGES directory.
> >
> > Is there a way to make pkgsrc look into binary PACKAGES directory
> > and install that package?
> I usually do
>       make DEPENDS_TARGET=bin-install install-depends
>  Thomas

OK from

        Install a binary package from local disk and via FTP from a
        list of sites (see the BINPKG_SITES variable), and do a make
        package if no binary package is available anywhere. The
        arguments given to pkg_add can be set via BIN_INSTALL_FLAGS
        e.g., to do verbose operation, etc.

But what does install-depends do? How is it different from 'install'

What if I do

make DEPENDS_TARGET=bin-install package

how would this work as opposed to running 'install-depends'?