Re: Apache children occasionally killed with SIGSEGV

Greg Troxel --> pkgsrc-users (2009-02-19 08:25:28 -0500):

>   Because I wanted to upgrade Apache to 2.2 anyway I didn't debug this
>   further and built and installed www/apache22 and the needed modules;
>   Apache 2.2 starts up and seems to run fine, but I still see those
>   occasional segmentation faults:
>
>   Is anybody seeing this as well?  Any hints?
>
> Stop using PHP :-)

Sure I would if it was up to me... ;-)

> More seriously, I have a system with mod_wsgi for python and
> svn/authz/trac, and I see core dumps occasionally too.  I don't have any
> real suggestions - I think there's just a lot of buggy code out there,
> and in particular I suspect the following
>
>   memory leaks
>
>   NULL from malloc is widely mishandled
>

> which lead to crashing after a while.

Not that I'd like to try fixing PHP or whatever causes the segfaults I'm
seeing, but I'd like to know for sure which module is causing them.  But
I don't manage to get core dumps even if I (termporarily...) change fs
permissions to allow the httpd user to write to / (which is his working
directory, according to fstat(1)).  Any hint what could be the problem
here?

TIA, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: