Re: New pkg geography/viking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:33:24 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> I looked at it and it looks good modulo a few nits.
Thanks to you and Joerg. I corrected it and a new version is available:
http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/tmp/viking-pkgsrc.tar.gz

> It would be nice to have a comment in the patch file explaining why
> you changed NAN to 0, and whether you sent the fix upstream, their bug
> tracking id, etc.  But not  necessary.
Forgot to mention: This is work in progress. The problem is simple, but
the solution is not. Most likely this is a bug in NetBSD:
There are (for that C-file) global variables initialized statically
with the symbol "NAN". "NAN" sugests that this symbol is somthing
static, a literal like "0.0" or "0xff". But in NetBSD NAN is a
preprocessor macro that finaly resolves to the variable "__nanf" inside
libc. So in NetBSD it is not possible to statically initialize a
variable with NAN. Too me this looks more like a problem of NetBSD, not
of the application. I am still not sure how to solve this.

> When importing to pkgsrc, be very careful about what the guide says
> about cvs import and branch/point tags.  This is way trickier than it
> seems and most pkgsrc people get it wrong the first 10 packages they
> import, even if they are certified CVS weenies to start with.  You'll
> need to add a SUBDIRS line in geography/Makefile, and add a CHANGES
> entry, too.
Thanks for the warning. I'll try to do my best and not break anything.
But to be honest: I don't plan to care about many pkgs. I just need
this application. (And the AVR stuff, see my other mail.) pkgsrc messed
up include-paths in such a way that it is a PITA to build e.g. GTK
applications like viking without the support of the pkgsrc machinery.
So I created a viking-pkgsrc for myself and why not share this work with
other people? This is how free software works.

> I didn't know it existed but recently started playing with OSM.
It took me a while to discover viking after I got my GPS device. There
are other applications in that realm like http://www.qlandkarte.org/
and some stuff mentioned on the gpsd homepage: http://gpsd.berlios.de/
Viking fits my needs much better then Qlandkarte GT, doesn't need that
QT bloat and Qlandkarte is still a bit early in developement.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen