meta-pkgs/gnome fails for me on NetBSD 4.0/i386

I am running stock NetBSD 4.0 with the standard XFree86 based X on a Xen guest domain for my builds*. The gnome meta package fails in the wm/metacity dependent package.

checking for METACITY... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.10.0 pango >= 1.2.0 gconf-2.0 >= 1.2.0 libstartup-notification-1.0 >= 0.7 xcomposite >= 0.2 xfixes xrender xdamage xcursor) were not met:

No package 'xdamage' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables METACITY_CFLAGS
and METACITY_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

The previous two quarterly pkgsrc releases had similar complaints about xdamage and xfixes but it was only with dependent packages gnome-mag and one other that I didn't need so I removed them from the gnome Makefile. Now that the problem affects metacity, I figure it's time I find out what is wrong and fix it.

Any pointers or other help would be greatly appreciated.

--Dan

* I have set up a Xen guest domain whose sole purpose is to do my pkgsrc builds. I have a fairly simple shell script that reads a file with all of the packages I want and does a "make package" in each directory followed by a "make clean." Before I run this script, I remove everything in /usr/pkgsrc, /usr/pkg and /var/db/pkgsrc then unpack the new pkgsrc tarball.