Re: gimp vs. dbus uuid

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:54:43 +0200 (CEST)
Hubert Feyrer <> wrote:

> I've built gimp on Mac OS X 10.4.11 from pkgsrc as of two days ago.
> Launching it gives:
>       % gimp foo.png
>       process 14612: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set
> up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open
>       "/Volumes/pkgsrc2/pkg/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file
> or directory See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this
> issue. D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a
> backtrace Abort
> RTFMing, it seems that "make instalL" should run
>       dbus-uuidgen --ensure
> Maybe someone can add this (in a way that it's ran for binary pkgs as
> well, please). Else I see this question becoming a FAQ...
I found that the easiest thing to do was to run dbus -- there's even a
sample rc.d file to use.  Since I did that, gimp and evince have been
happy.  dbus is not listed as an explicit dependency; perhaps it should
be?  Evince lists it.  (I haven't figured out the exact path, either.)

I also noticed that there's a gnome option enabled by default; perhaps
turning it off would solve the problem.

                --Steve Bellovin,