Re: X news reader for port amd64?

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:36:55 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <> wrote:

> Anyone got a recommendation for a nntp news reader?
> I tried installing knews, but got tons of 'cast pointer to integer of
> different size' type errors.  The build finished, so I figured I'd
> try and run it but it immediately dumps core.
> xrn didn't even finish installing.  And trying to install pan fails
> while installing the required dependency gtkspell.
You might want to try claws-mail, which has a built-in news reader.
Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried that part of claws-mail.  However,
most of the functionality works well -- I'm using it to send this
note.  I'm also the pkgsrc maintainer for it, and I have had to fix a
few portability problems...  Fortunately, the upstream maintainers are
generally happy to accept the fixes.

                --Steve Bellovin,