Using pkgsrc userppp on netbsd?

For years I've been using userland ppp on my FreeBSD firewall
machine, but the latest FreeBSD no longer runs properly on my
ancient old i486/Cyrix, so I've installed NetBSD on that box
and now I'm trying to get pkgsrc net/userppp working.

When using ppp in interactive mode, I type 'dial' to make a DSL
connection.  The connection fails and I get this message:

Warning: esp: unknown protocol.

I'm running the GENERIC NetBSD kernel and using the same ppp.conf
I've been using for years with FreeBSD.

Anybody out there using userppp with NetBSD?  Any hints?

Thanks