using pkgsrc on Linux

I'm trying to bootstrap pkgsrc on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04).  I'm running
into trouble, probably because I don't know Linux that well.

Per the pkgsrc guide, I install libncurses-dev; that let me.  I also
installed patch, which isn't mentioned in the guide.  However, when I
try to build libtool-base, I'm told that /lib/cpp isn't sane.  Here's
the error.

configure:6536: /lib/cpp -I/usr/include conftest.cpp
cpp: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory

I assume I'm missing some mysterious package; I have no idea what it
is, since I know that I have gcc and cpp with it.

                --Steve Bellovin, http://www.bellovin.org