Strange printing problem

I'm having a heck of a time figuring this one out...

Here's  my /etc/printcap setting:

# HP DeskJet 6940 on network

If I print a plain text file, it works fine, so I'm pretty sure that magicfilter is running correctly, and the printer can talk to lpd.

If I print a file from (for example) xv, instead of printing the file's contents I get a single line that says

        **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.

That error message doesn't seem to appear anywhere in magicfilter or lpd.

Now if I use xv to "print" that same jpeg to a file (change the printer command from "lpr" to "cat >") and invoke magicfilter directly, as in

        /usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/DeskJet_6940-filter < | lpr

the file prints just fine!

Does anyone have a clue where this "Unable to open" message comes from and how I can get rid of it? :)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | |