Evolution is missing icons in GUI and crashes - maybe dbus issue

From: Doctor Who <whodoctor%gmail.com@localhost>
Date: Jan 17, 2008 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: Evolution is missing icons in GUI and crashes - maybe dbus issue
To: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost>

On Jan 16, 2008 11:23 PM, Steven M. Bellovin <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost>
wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:03:00 -0500
> "Doctor Who" <whodoctor%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>

> > Perhaps this is really a dbus question.  When I run 'dbus-uuidgen
> > --ensure'  I get an error that /var/lib/dbus/machine-id does not exist
> > (which it doesn't).  It appears that I already have dbus installed and
> > installing again shows it as manually installed.  I have put
> > 'dbus=yes' in /etc/rc.conf and restarted the machine.  I don't have a
> > /etc/rc.d/dbus file that I can use to start the service manually
> > (which gives me pause).  Also, I googled where someone created this
> > file by moving it from /usr/share/examples/rc.d/dbus but I don't have
> > that either.
> >
> I was getting ready to post a similar query about dbus -- I ran into
> the same issue when building a package for straw (an RSS feed
> aggregator.)  I tend to think that nothing in pkgsrc should be using a
> directory in /var/lib.  That said, you should
> have /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/dbus -- pkgsrc generally puts things
> under /usr/pkg -- and that's the file that should be copied
> to /etc/rc.d.

Thanks...doing the copy from /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/ to
/etc/rc.d/ worked to get dbus started.  So:

1)  For future reference, where is that documented?  Is there some
dbus documentation provided on install that would have told me to do
this?  It does not seem intuitive.

2)  The icons for evolution are still missing.  I installed evolution
via pkg_add (so all of the relevant dependencies should have been
installed.  I checked that gnome-desktop is installed.  Still no
icons.  It's as if they either don't exist or permissions are not
correct (but launching as root no icons either).

Thanks.