gettext-tools configure error

Hi pkgsrc-users:

(my apologies if you have already seen this - I am having trouble finding
any evidence that my first post from my gmail account ever went out on the
list ...)

I am trying to upgrade a pkgsrc tree and am running info a configure error
in devel/gettext-tools (details below).? I searched the archives and saw
some chatter about it, but either the stuff I found doesn't apply, or I
don't understand the issue well enough to know that I am staring at the
answer ( my apologies if this is the case ... :/ ) ??? Same for the few
results that Google turned up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.? Currently, I am somewhat stuck ...

Here are the gory details:

Host:? Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 4 Release 6 (RHEL4u6)
pkgsrc metadata "current" as of 1/2/2008
mk.conf says:? PREFER_PKGSRC=yes? (take pkgsrc over host for all
dependencies where possible)
and there are no package specific overrides of this global setting

Here's the configure error:
===> Configuring for  gettext-tools-0.14.6nb1
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for autoconf-lib-link
*** Error code 1

And the pertinent (AFAIK) stuff from src/gettext-tools/work/gettext-0.14.6
/autoconf-lib-link/config.log:
configure:2292: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2295: gcc -O2
-I/users/tnoell/work/pkg_012008/ix86-Linux-RHEL4/include
-I/users/tnoell/work/pkg_012008/ix86-Linux-RHEL4/include
-L/users/tnoell/work/pkg_012008/ix86-Linux-RHEL4/lib
-Wl,-R/users/tnoell/work/pkg_012008/ix86-Linux-RHEL4/lib  conftest.c -lintl
-liconv >&5
/users/tnoell/work/pkg_012008/src/devel/gettext-tools/work.titan/.buildlink/lib/libintl.so:
 undefined reference to `locale_charset'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2298: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.? */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "autoconf-lib-link"
| #define VERSION "0.14.6"
| /* end confdefs.h.? */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|?? ;
|?? return 0;
| }
configure:2337: error: C compiler cannot create executables

As near as I can tell, locale_charset should come from
$LOCALBASE/lib/libcharset.so (which is there, and has a symbol
"locale_charset" in it)
but for some reason, libintl.so doesn't say that it needs libcharset.so
(per ldd/readelf output).? ? -lcharset is not on the link command line for
this test app, so of course, this test program fails.

Is this a known issue, am I missing a patch, etc?

Rather than fixing this in gettext-tools, I'm thinking libintl.so (from
devel/gettext-lib package) got built incorrectly and should list
libcharset.so as a NEEDED shared library, so that client apps don't need to
know to include -lcharset on their linker lines.?? IOW, I could add
-lcharset to the configure script's link line, but I would expect many
other apps that link -lintl to also need -lcharset, so I'm not sure
patching this configure script is a broad enough fix ...

If anyone can send a patch or give me a hint on how/where to fix this, it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Tim Noell