Re: {pkgsrc-users} Re: SIGSEGV with x11/lablgtk (net/unison won't work)

On 2007.11.26 23:51:45 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Just for the record, mldonkey-gui works fine for me on
> NetBSD-4.99.36/amd64.

I just installed mldonkey-gui and it crashes in the same way.

I've been poking into it and discovered the problem: NetBSD's
malloc is allocating objects in the area > 2GB:

  * glib uses the memory address for non-fundamental types as the
    GType (so a 32-bit number),

  * NetBSD's new malloc causes these non-fundamental types to be
    allocated > 2GB, such that the top-most bit is set, and

  * the lablgtk mapping treats the GTypes as longs in ocaml,
    but these are 31-bit numbers (with the lowest bit set to 1),
    and so don't have sufficient capacity to represent the full
    possible range.

Is there any way to cause malloc() to allocate address < 2GB?

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli