Re: Patch problem for www/ap-auth-external package

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
Today, I tried building the www/ap-auth-external package, for apache2, in pkgsrc-current. Unfortunately, it fails upon patching:

# make install
[snip]
2 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to mod_auth_external.c.rej
Patch /usr/pkgsrc/www/ap-auth-external/patches/patch-aa failed
ERROR: Patching failed due to modified or broken patch file(s):
ERROR:  /usr/pkgsrc/www/ap-auth-external/patches/patch-aa
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/www/ap-auth-external
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/www/ap-auth-external

Seems that the patch step failed, for patch-aa. When looking deeper, I found that the patch has been done against the Apache 1.3 API (looking for ap_pstrcat routine), whereas the Apache 2 API uses apr_pstrcat (notice the "r"). As a consequence, the patch fails during make, as it can not fix mod_auth_external.c (version 2.2.11 - API apache 2) properly.

Yes, the patch has failed, but not quite for that reason. You'll see the first hunk has failed too. This is because the line numbers don't line up.

Thanks for the bug report.

It was a nice idea to try to generate modules for 1.3 and 2.x from the same package, but it's not really extensible because the source files are different (and have different version numbers too). Therefore, I think this should be split this into ap-auth-external (for 1.3) and ap2-auth-external (for 2.x). I'll try to find some time to do this this week.

I've added tech-pkg@ to the CC: list as I'd appreciate some feedback on whether any problems are anticipated when changing from:

ap-auth-external
        -> ap13-auth-external-2.1.19nb2
        -> ap2-auth-external-2.2.11nb2

to:

ap-auth-external
        -> ap13-auth-external-2.1.19nb2
ap2-auth-external
         -> ap2-auth-external-2.2.11nb2

i.e. the ap2 package comes from a different pkgsrc folder to where it previously came from. This may have ramifications on updates, etc.

--
Stephen