Re: how to update packages in production

"Zafer Aydogan" <zafer%aydogan.de@localhost> wrote:
> hello list,
>
> My company would consider to switch to NetBSD with their hosting, if
> following ciriterias are met:
>
> - Is it possible to update the apache webserver without interrupting
> the running httpd service during the update ?
> - Is it  possible to update mysql without interrupting the mysql
> service during the update ?
> - Is it possible to install, add, remove modules for php without
> interrupting remaining services ?
>
> and if, how ?

 I am not doing this, but i remember seeing mail where people have a test
pkg installation area, and a seperate production one, as well.

 I looks like the "pkg_comp" might be useful for this:

/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_comp/DESCR:

pkg_comp is a small utility designed to build packages inside a
clean chroot tree.

Some ideas about what to use it for (taken from manpage):
* Build packages for other system versions. For example, build
  packages for NetBSD 1.5 while you are running NetBSD current.
* Build packages using different options than your current system
  like changing the threading library, COPTS, placement of
  configuration files, etc.
* Debug the build process of a package, checking if buildlinks
  work properly.
* Avoid autoconf's side effects by keeping a separate chroot for
  each project, like one for GNOME2 and another one for KDE3.
* Schedule builds of package sets for several different machines.

 -johan