Re: [HEADS-UP] Changes in handling package licenses

"Justin C. Sherrill" <justin%shiningsilence.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, October 17, 2007 7:12 am, Roland Illig wrote:
>
>> You probably don't have to change anything in your mk.conf file, as long
>> as you always _append_ the licenses to the ACCEPTED_LICENSES variable
>> (using "+=" instead of a simple "="). In this case, the Open Source
>> licenses will be automatically added to the acceptable licenses.
>
> For current installations, do we need to explicitly add the 'Open Source
> licenses' to the existing mk.conf?

No.  The plan is that in license.mk there is a
DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES that includes all Free Software and Open
Source licenses.  Currently this is

DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES= \
        public-domain \
        gnu-gpl-v2 gnu-lgpl-v2 \
        gnu-gpl-v3 gnu-lgpl-v3 \
        original-bsd modified-bsd \
        x11 \
        apache-2.0 \
        cddl-1.0

but it will grow as people go through pkgsrc and add free licenses as we
find them.

Roland's point was that if you do:

ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES=foo-license bar-license

now, that unless you really mean to exclude free licenses, you should
(right now) change that to

ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+=foo-license bar-license

so that when we add LICENSE=gnu-gpl-v2 to some package that you will
still be able to build it.