Re: rar package is now useless

Bernd Ernesti wrote:
On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 04:22:07PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
I can't find a way to use the linux binary, which is even a newer
version and I would be forced to use the outdated bsd rar binary,
if it would install at all.

And got another hint from the same person how to work around this problem:

: Until this gets fixed, you should be able to get the Linux version
: using:
: : make EMUL_PLATFORM=linux-i386 update : : in pkgsrc/archivers/rar. At least it works here.

Which works for me too.

Bernd

P.S. Sorry for the tone, but I was frustrated that it didn't work anymore.
And sorry Johnny that you got my first mail twice, but I missed one char
when I added the mailing list address.

Ah, that's why my reply got bounced.  Here it is again:

Should we just remove the section that's for netbsd-i386? That would force needing linux-i386 for using rar, but as it's a much newer version by several generations, it's likely to be much better. I don't know anyone who still uses the very old BSD rar binary.

        Cheers,

        -- Johnny C. Lam