Re: skype is really stale

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:45:54 -0400
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:14:26 +0800
> clayton <langexnet%bbn.cn@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Current version in pkgsrc is skype_staticQT-1.2.0.18, which is
> > giving me some problems (crappy audio, can't access my USB
> > headphones) that I think the latest and greatest skype version
> > 1.4.0.99 might do better with.
>
> Inability to talk to your headphones is not likely to be a Skype
> problem per se.  Do you hear sound through them when using other
> utilities?

I did figure out how to get sound from the headphones with the
audioplay utility, so I don't think there is a problem on the NetBSD
driver side. However, Skype 1.2.0.18 sound options only ever showed me
"/dev/dsp", ie. there was no additional option for when the headphones
were plugged in, and there was no way to choose between the internal
sound card and the headphones from within skype. On the Linux side,
using recent versions of Skype, one can choose between various sound
cards.

Clayton