Mac OS X: math/R doesn't install files

The R package uses GNUmake to run "gnumake install" on Mac OS X, but this results in no files being installed:

        ===> Installing for R-2.4.1nb2
        => Generating pre-install file lists
        => Running PRE-INSTALL script actions
        gnumake[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
        gnumake[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
        installing doc ...
        /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ../NEWS
        installing doc/html ...

The full build log is available at

I've looked at the package's installation on NetBSD, the GNUmake installed from the gmake package works fine there. I've tried installing devel/gmake manually and then ran "gmake install" inside the work-directoy, but the effects were the same.

FWIW, I'm using pkgsrc and installed packages via a .dmg file that's formatted as case-sensitive HFS+.

How to kick gnumake/gmake into doing its work?

 - Hubert