Re: Updating databases/libpqxx

Jan Danielsson wrote:
   This raises another question, perhaps a little offtopic for this
list, that I have been wondering about. I have written a small tool for
writing postgresql queries (operative word: "small"). I have a makefile,
which is built using the assumption that wxwidgets and libpqxx is
already available on the system.

   What's the easiest way for me to construct a portable, and familiar,
build system which is portable to any Unix:ish system which can build my
application as long as wxWidgets and libpqxx are available? I did try to
look into autoconf a while back, but it was way to time consuming to
learn at that point. I guess I could give it a new try -- but before I
do, is there a better/simpler option?

   I would like to write something which is pkgsrc friendly (as in "no
patching required").

For pkgsrc, the easiest way is to just list the dependencies in a README file. That's it. Because of the buildlink framework, everything will then work. For other systems, you may need more work. :)

Concerning the Makefiles, I suggest you depend on GNU Make or BSD Make, since they both have the += and ?= operators, which I consider very useful (for CPPFLAGS, you should never use the plain = operator). Yes, it means that users will first have to build GNU Make on some systems, but portability can even mean: It makes proper use of programs that are themselves portable. :)

Roland