Re: pkgsrc locking is still broken!

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 11:20:59PM +0200, Roland Illig wrote:
> PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE is the old variable that affects both WRKDIR and
> LOCALBASE. After some thinking I realized that I wanted to have
> different locking styles for LOCALBASE and WRKDIR, so I split that
> variable into WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE and LOCALBASE_LOCKTYPE. For compatibility
> reasons, I kept the setting of PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE as the default value for
> these two variables.
>
> See also:
> * http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-changes/2007/02/20/0089.html

Hmm, since it's not possible to compile individual packages
with make jobs>1 reliably, building packages in parallel is the only way
to make use of multiple processors on build systems for e.g.bulk
builds.

With WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE=once, this is not possible. Building multiple
packages simultaneously with WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE=once is completely
useless for unattended builds, and painful even for interactive
builds.

What needs to be done is to make WRKDIR_LOCKTYPE=sleep work reliably,
obviously - rather then splitting the variables to cover up for
the brokeness.

Why the re-locking doesn't re-create WRKDIR as needed?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek%NetBSD.org@localhost>            http://www.NetBSD.cz/
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-