PostgreSQL pl/Perlu not working

I'm running PostgreSQL 8.2.3 incl. Tsearch2 and PL/Perl on my Laptop
with a 3 days old  4.99.16.

PL/Perl and PL/Perlu are both installed in my databases, however, I
cannot execute or install PL/Perlu fuctions. PostgreSQL aborts with:

"ERROR:  can not allocate second Perl interpreter on this platform"

PL/Perl functions work as expected. The database works without
problems in PostgreSQL 8.1.5 on our production server running 3.1.

Any hints, before I rebuild Perl (and ~75% of all pkgs)?
--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE  0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
http://www.net-tex.de