Re: Solaris and AMD64 support

> From: Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost>
>
> Ernesto Bascon wrote:
> > Hi everybody:
> >
> > I've read a blog about hacking pkgsrc and a Solaris Express
> > installation in order to have native AMD64 applications deployed on
> > Solaris using pkgsrc:
> >
> > http://perso.enst.fr/~dauphin/pkgsrcmywork/
> >
> > There are two problems the dauphin's patches solve:
> >
> > * When you ask uname -p , the system replies with a x86, x86pc instead
> > of x86_64 or amd64.
> > * When you compile something using gcc, the resulting binary is a 32
> > bits binary instead of being a 64 bits binary.
> >
> > I have modified my system following the patches described in the URL
> > above and they work perfectly (well, ok, there are a lot of problems
> > trying to install something big like meta-pkgs/kde3 but I think they
> > are package specific problems).
> >
> > Are these patches merged on pkgsrc? Is there some official workaround
> > about the amd64 support on opensolaris with pkgsrc?
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > Ernesto
>

> Hi,
> Thank you for your interest in porting pkgsrc.
> I suspect Gilles is as eager as you to get this into official pkgsrc :)

My dream is not so noisy ;)

> I'm not really qualified to comment, having no solaris/x86 experience,
> but:
> Does the "bootstrap patch" assume in any way that the base system has
> been altered? For example renamed compilers/libs as described above?
> Would it be possible to move some of those checks into bsd.prefs.mk or
> the mk/compiler/* framework? That is the place where ABI issues should
> be handled to the greatest extent possible, IMO.
> You can for example put the correct compiler into the compiler driver
> script that the compiler framework generates.

my "boostrap patch" assume that the base system is correct.
Some patchs are needed to this base system even if you use pkgsrc or not.
You need thoses patches before the bootstrap.
I think my patch solve the ABI issue in mk.conf , setting ABI=64 when needed.
Please read pkgsrc guide 3.3.7.2 , that is for sunpro. why not gcc?
The most important things of my boostrap patch , is to create to new arch
sparc64 and x86_64 needed by some packages like multimedia packages.
I test my boostrap patch on 4 builds on almost 800 packages.
     sparc
     sparc64
     i386
     x86_64