Re: Installing a software from pkgsrc of another machine

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 28 2007 - 01:06, Silas Justiniano wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have pkgsrc installed on /usr/pkgsrc of host1 and I need to install, for
> example, vim on host2 using the directory of host1.
>
> Do you know if it is possible? NFS or anything similar? Is there any
> specific documentation for that?

yes it is possible, I do it :-)
here's what I do (in details):

1. Have a unique /home/cvs/pkgsrc shared via NFS to all my servers.
2. Symlink /etc/mk.conf to /home/cvs/pkgsrc/mk.conf so that all my servers
shares it too.
3. I build all the required packages from a single unique dedicated server (a
dedicated domU in fact).
4. Then I use pkg_add or pkg_chk to install/upgrade the binary packages.

I guess the docs to read are:
1. how to setup NFS:
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-net-misc.html#chap-net-misc-nfs
2. pkgsrc user guide: http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/