Re: binaries from OSX/ppc on OSX/intel?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 06:29:01PM -0500, Mark E. Perkins wrote:
> I use pkgsrc on a few Mac OS X machines, all of which are PPC
> hardware.  My pkgsrc installation in on a UFS disk image, which makes
> it relatively easy to keep all of the Macs in sync w.r.t. to pkgsrc.
> I do all builds on one machine, then periodically transfer the disk
> image to the other machines.
>
> I'm about to get my first Intel-based Mac, so the question is whether
> this approach will be feasible on the new machine.  Will Rosetta
> properly run "pkgsrc/PPC" binaries on an Intel Mac?
>
> Does anyone have any experience with such an arrangement?

I haven't used pkgsrc specifically on the macs, but I do use Darwin
Ports on both PPC and Intel Macs.  I needed one piece out of qemu that
wasn't shipped with Q (the aqua port of qemu) and Darwin Ports kept
trying to use gcc3, which doesn't work on the IBCMs, so I compiled it on
my G4 and copied that one binary over to my MacBook and it worked fine.

Rosetta does a great job, but PPC binaries will never be as fast as
native-compiled stuff.

--
Michael Parson
mparson%bl.org@localhost