Re: logrotate / NetBSD 4

Thanks Joel. I've gone this route as well, I added some find commands to cron which compress files older than one day, and delete them after a couple of weeks.

Logrotate does all this with a conf file, very easy to use. I was hoping someone had it compiled to run on NetBSD.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel CARNAT" <joel%carnat.net@localhost>
To: "dennis usle" <dusle%comcast.net@localhost>
Cc: <pkgsrc-users%netbsd.org@localhost>
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: logrotate / NetBSD 4

Is it possible to install logrotate on NetBSD 4.0?  Anyone have
instructions to compile?    Im looking to compress/archive my logs from
syslogng.  Any information on this would be very much appreciated.

I'm using syslog-ng to rotate and store my logs.

In the server's syslog-ng.conf, I have destination rules like:
destination sshd { file("/home/log/$HOST/sshd/$YEAR$MONTH$DAY.log"); };

And a shell script runs every night to compress log files from "yesterday
and earlier".

In the clients, either I send all logs to this server, or use
/usr/bin/newsyslog for the few logs that I keep local too.