Re: Updating packages

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:12:39PM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> Looking for resources/best practices with updating packages on my
> NetBSD 3.1 box.  I currently have downloaded the 6006-Q3 pkgsrc but may
> want to update some of the packages to those in -current (kde 3.5.4 to
> 3.5.5 for instance).

Updating all packages is a tricky process, so having an oversimplified
portupgrade is not necessarily the best solution.  There are different options:
- simple make update/replace (thought it's advisable to backup the old package,
or use make package, in case it fails)
- pkg_chk -g and pkg_chk -u
- pkgmanager
- pkg_comp's chroot
- straight sandboxing with the scripts in pkgsrc/mk/bulk/
- my preferred method: pkgdepgraph (look at the EXAMPLES in the man page)