Re: python dev?

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:20:58PM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > I encounter this kind of problem with python scripts installed by third
> > party
> > packages. Most scripts define
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> Kill the authors.

The authors of Python or the script? I always thought it's a tidbit nicer than

#! /usr/bin/<interpreter>

Of course neither is perfect but this has been an issue long before Python
became popular (or existed) and nobody came up with a perfect solution,
not even you. s,@INTERPRETER@,/path/to/interpreter, on install may work for
some but then you still lose after an upgrade unless you kept record of
the fixed scripts. I'd say using the she-bang mechanism for anything but
shell scripts is not reasonable for portable software. Now even if one
provided a loader written in C, how is supposed to know which version of
the interpreter is required and how can it ensure it's (still) installed?
I smell a catch 22.

--
Christian