Re: Severe performance issues with pkgsrc-2006Q3?

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Christian Biere <christianbiere%gmx.de@localhost> writes:
> > Hauke Fath wrote:
> >> The machines offer KDE, Gnome, XFCE4 and your favourite window
> >> manager as environment via gdm, but the problem seems to concern all
> >> of them. As an example, when I log in to XFCE4, first opening of a
> >> popup menu from xfce4-panel takes 15 sec on an AMD 700 MHz / 384 MB
> >> RAM.

> > Have you traced them? Font loading time is very likely the issue. My
> > apps seemingly spent most and too much time at that step as well. Albeit
> > it's not as horrible as in your examples.
>
> I had trouble with gqview taking a long time to start up.

Who did you know I was referring to gqview?

> Rebuilding fontconfig caches with fc-cache (as root) turned out to be the
> required step to fix it.

Exactly, now it really starts ~30 seconds faster or IOW, instantanenously.

One problem with fc-cache is that it doesn't show useful error messages. I
had to trace it to see where it wants to write to. Apparently, it stores its
stuff under /var/cache/fontconfig/*. So that should be world-readable and
writeable by the pkgsrc install user.

--
Christian