Re: Asian language support in X11 / KDE / Gnome etc.?

Hauke Fath wrote:
> Am 15.11.2006 um 18:02 Uhr +0100 schrieb Christian Biere:
> >Hauke Fath wrote:
> >Have you tried fonts/efont-unicode?

> That one installs without anything dumping core, but it does not
> bring me any Chinese characters. The project's homepage has a table
> of supported languages/character sets, but I am not sure what to look
> for...

Have you followed the instructions in the MESSAGE file so that the fonts
are really available under X11? You might have to configure applications
to explicitely use these fonts.

Look for CJK (Chinese-Japanese-Korean). I can't really tell whether it's
sufficient for a Chinese user but I've rarely seen any text that couldn't
be rendered.

$ curl -Ls --url http://zh.wikipedia.org/ | less

would be a simple check for the terminal. I can't read it but mlterm
with efonts seems to render the text fine. Most terminals cannot handle
this at all or are horribly slow/broken/bloated.

--
Christian