Re: C compiler flags

Christian Biere wrote:
Blair Sadewitz wrote:

I have seen packages before which do not use -O2, probably due to bugs
in the compiler.

Probably? I doubt it. It is very likely a bug in the package.

Now, bugs are hopefully transient, but they do exist.  Actually, I
think some packages had problems like this on the alpha architecture,
for example.

Yes, I've seen funky results from code ignoring alignment requirements
which were clear and not very special bugs in the software, not the
compiler. For GCC it's a good idea to add

CFLAGS += -Wall -Wformat=2 -Wshadow

Or even the flags mentionen on [1]. These settings always make me wonder that the software we are using daily works so good.

Roland

[1]http://wiki.netbsd.se/index.php/Examples_for_pkgsrc-specific_mk.conf_files