Re: py-clearsilver problem on netbsd/sparc

        Hi Reid,

Reid Linnemann wrote:
>   I'm trying to use trac from pkgsrc on to a sparc32 machine
> (sparcstation 20) running netbsd 2.0.3_STABLE. The port compiles and
> installs with no problems, but as soon as a request to trac is made, I
> get an error:
>
> 'ImportError: /usr/pkg/lib/python2.4/site-packages/neo_cgi.so: Undefined
> symbol "" (symnum = 19)'

I don't know how python is implemented, but this looks like a native
object. When I write shared libraries in C, I have similar error
messages on Sparc when I forget to compile them with "-fPIC".
>From gcc(1) manual page:

« -fPIC
 If supported for the target machine, emit position-independent
 code, suitable for dynamic linking and avoiding any limit on the
 size of the global offset table.  This option makes a difference on
 the m68k, m88k, and the SPARC. »

The latter sentence explains with so many people apparently don't know
about it (at least I didn't), or why people tend to forget it.

So what I would do first is check whether this library is effectively
compiled with this flag.

HTH,
--
khorben