pgadmin3 crashes -- help debugging

Hello,

   I want to be able to check if autovacuuming is working in my
postgresql setup. I have no idea how to find that out, so I asked in the
postgresql lists. Someone suggested that I try to use pgadmin3 to try to
monitor how many rows a table has in the data files.

   So I built pgadmin3.

   But as soon as I run it, it core dumps.

   Now I would like to debug the problem, but I have no idea how to do that.

   When I use OS/2, I simply compile with the appropriate debugging
options, and made sure that the linker didn't strip debugging
information. Then I run the program through the debugger, and .. well..
I find, and fix the, problem(s). Even if I forget to compile the program
with the appropriate debugging options, I could always see the machine
code in the debugger.

   I don't even know where to begin when it comes to debugging programs
in NetBSD. Well, actually, I do. I guess I should use "gdb" (and since I
have some experience kernel debugging OS/2 with the debug kernel, I
don't feel completely lost). But how do I get source code view in "gdb"?
How do I make sure that the appropriate debugging data is compiled in
when I build packages from pkgsrc?

   It's about time I learn this stuff on NetBSD, but I'm quite
overwhelmed by it. Not nearly as simple as on OS/2 and Windows, IMHO.
Anyone want to help me get started?

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson