Re: pkg-vulnerabilities

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 20:52:51 +0200, Christian Biere
> <christianbiere%gmx.de@localhost>
> wrote:
> > I wonder why isn't pkg-vulnerabilities compressed?
> > The file is already over 200 kB large and compresses
> > quite well to about 10% of its size.
>
> Compressed storage on the local machine is probably a bad idea, since it
> would need to be decompressed several times for each package built.  And
> it's probably pointless -- look at how big pkgsrc is, and ask if 200KB
> makes that much difference.

I wasn't worried about my diskspace of course. I meant, the file should
be available as yadda.gz or yadda.bz2 on the server. On the other hand,
since inflate is cheap and disk I/O is expensive, there shouldn't be much
of a difference. With a slow or stressed internet connection, the increased
download time is quite significant and if you really want every pkgsrc
user to download this file periodically, you're going to worry about this
in the long run as well.

--
Christian