couriertcpd fails to find libdb

Now I am having troubles building couriertcpd, it is trying to link with
the db library which has no libdb.so on my system.  Again I am assuming
this is due to the fact that I have no development libraries in my base
system.  I don't know enough about the API of berkeley to know if db 2,
3, and 4 are compatible.  I have db4 installed from pkgsrc which
provides libdb4.so.  In my base system I have libdb.so.2 which was
installed from the gnome-libs rpm and libdb.so.3 which was installed
from compat-db which I believe is an old version of db3.  I'd prefer to
use an updated db from pkgsrc rather than a base system.  Should I just
create a symlink to libdb4.so from libdb.so or install db3 from pkgsrc?
--
Loren M. Lang
lorenl%alzatex.com@localhost

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2