Re: wine 0.9.15

david aubril wrote:
Hi again.
After a while, I tried what you suggested. satellite# netstat -an | grep 631 It gives a all bunch of lines: "c13288c0 stream 0 0 0 c1328840 0 0
-> /var/tmp/orbit-david/linc-631-0-752d882135edd"
I must admit that I don't really know what that means. Just a french
teacher...

orbit is the Object Request Broker used in the gnome desktop. the line here is a unix domain socket. that's not using the network at all so nothing to worry about.

one sure fire way to understand what is happening is to pause wine using gdb and do a stack dump. This may be rather involved if you are not a programmer.

clearly we need to know more. is wine spinning 100% busy in user mode, is it using lots of system time or is it causing some other process to spin busy. If its busy doing nothing then it must be a bug inside wine (unlikely for these symptoms) or it is causing lots of resources to be allocated and deallocated. some hints as to this can be found using the following programs:

top, fstat, netstat, 'systat vmstat'

systrace can be used to discover the system calls a program makes, that can help identify some behaviors.

have you tried in any of the wine forums?

I used netstat to identify that the Receive queue for mountd was only busy when wine was started. This led me to ensure mountd never ran on port 631 after poking around wine for a bit.

Simon