Re: Looking for a video player ...

On 6/17/06, Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

This might not be the right list to ask such a question, but I could
not think of any other place to ask either. I need some help with
selecting a video player in pkgsrc.

I am used to watching movies in Windows XP; and there I use Windows
Media Player or DivX Player. Both of these are such that if I click
(left-click) on the position/ time bar, the movie jumps forward to
that position/ time. This way its very easy to jump from one part of
the movie to the other.

As opposed to that, in NetBSD (I use KDE), I have kmplayer and VLC
installed, and I find that both of them behave differently to clicking
on the position/ time bar. Clicking just moves the playback forward/
back in an increment -- rather than jumping to that particular
position which I clicked.

So what I'd like to know is that can anyone suggest a movie player in
the pkgsrc collection that behaves like I am used to with Windows XP?
Or maybe there's some tweaking that can be done with the existing
players to make them behave that way? Any suggestions/ recommendations
would be appreciated ...

I think totem does what you want.

OTOH I'm really used to mplayer's keybindings and miss them in most
other players.  You can advance in increments of different granularity
(10 seconds, 1 minute and 10 minutes IIRC) by using left/right,
up/down and pgup/pgdown.  It does not let you go straight to a point
in a movie but this lets you search for any specific piece really
quickly.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost>