Re: What does the "WRKOBJDIR" variable do?

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> I am still not clear on what WRKDIR does. Is it possible to set that
> to "/tmp/pkgsrc-wrk"? Will all the package "work" directories be
> created at this new location then? Why aren't we playing with that
> variable instead of WRKOBJDIR?

WRKOBJDIR is a variable you as a user of pkgsrc can globally set for
building packages from source. It applies to the whole of pkgsrc.
Such variables can be set in /etc/mk.conf (or whereever you specified
the "sysconfdir" to be in pkgsrc/bootstrap on non-NetBSD systems).

WRKDIR and WKRSRC are variables determined by the pkgsrc system
automatically on a per-package basis. WRKDIR in mail/spamassassin/
will have a different value from WRKDIR in mail/mutt/.
You must not set WRKDIR/WKRSRC in your /etc/mk.conf file and they do
not concern you if you are not creating any packages within the pkgsrc
framework.

> But I thought if your pkgsrc is mounted read-only, then symlinks wont
> be created in the first place. Or is it that your pkgsrc is mounted
> read-write but you dont want symlinks to be created nevertheless, and
> so u set this?

I assume the latter. I use a read-only pkgsrc tree and have never set
this variable.

ciao
     Klaus