Re: GNOME screensaver hangs

On 5/27/06, Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On 5/27/06, Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost> wrote:

> jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost said:
> > As long as fam is properly configured (rpcbind is running and inetd is
> > told to manage fam), you should not experience the lock ups.
>
> This makes sense, as the signal mask leaks were in the
> error paths of the RPC code.
> However, it seems that I never managed to set up fam
> correctly:-(

Actually, now that Julio mentions this, I think my fam configuration
might have a problem. I am not sure though if that's what's causing
the screensaver hangups.

To configure fam, I followed the instructions given by "pkg_info -D
fam" (also viewable at http://pkgsrc.se/sysutils/fam). Which say that
I must add the line "sgi_fam 391002 fam # File Alteration Monitor" to
"/etc/rpc" and then enable the "famd" demon (I did it thru rc.conf).
Whenever my system starts up I get an error message which says "famd
can't register with portmapper". I haven't had time to investigate
this error message so far ... but is it an indication that my fam is
configured incorrectly?

You also need rpcbind=YES in /etc/rc.conf.  I've modified fam's
MESSAGE to mention this.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost>