Subject: Getting the latest pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: None <pkgsrc-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster@gmail.com>
List: pkgsrc-users
Date: 05/25/2006 09:48:35
Hi,

I installed NetBSD 3.0 sometime last week, and I also downloaded a
copy of "pkgsrc.tar.gz" from
"ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/" (as
instructed in the NetBSD guide). Things are going smooth, I have
installed a lot of stuff I want, etc etc.

Now, I want to update the package sources. My understanding is that I
can do it thru CVS, or by downloading the "pkgsrc.tar.gz" file again.
I'd prefer the latter, coz I haven't used CVS yet, and so would like
to take things one step at a time. So I go back to the ftp location,
but I find that the "pkgsrsc.tar.gz" file is still the same as I had
downloaded last week. Infact, it looks like its been the same for the
past 2-3 weeks; coz the date on it shows 06th May 2006.

How do I go about updating my package sources then? Is CVS the only
option, or can I download a fresher copy of the tar.gz file from
someplace else?

Does CVS take any extra bandwidth? Downloading the tar.gz file is just
26MB. How big would it be if I do it through CVS?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

--=20
NetBSD/i386 3.0 | Toshiba Satellite L10 | http://mail-index.netbsd.org/